An Excellent Guide from BDC Canada
Most entrepreneurs aim for growth—but a surge in business can sometimes be difficult to handle. Retain control with a well-planned growth strategy, one that guides your moves based on the market, the economy, your competitors and your internal resources.
What challenges are you facing?
Explore the headings below and learn more about strategies that can help you grow your business.
Am I ready to grow my business?
Regardless of whether a business is seeking to satisfy a major increase in demand, or strengthen its competitive position, growth is a vital step in the development of any business.
- From our blog—Busting the myth of entrepreneur ambition
- Are you ready to manage your growing business?
- Clearpath Robotics: A clear path to growth
- How to manage rapid growth: One company’s lessons
- How to develop a smart growth strategy
- 9 ways to avoid being crushed by your rapid business growth
- What every entrepreneur can learn from accelerator programs
- How to build a world-class business
- How this entrepreneur bootstrapped a manufacturing business
- From refugee to business leader: How this entrepreneur built a small hospitality empire
Your growth plan could be anything from a rough, informal sketch to a full-blown, highly-detailed strategic plan. What’s vital is getting the key players in your company on the same page.
- Wired for growth: How an entrepreneur overcame adversity
- Growing your business: 6 tips from highly successful companies
- How to develop your growth plan
- Business processes: The systematic way to grow
- Video— Managing expansion: Tips from a successful entrepreneur
- How failure can make you a better entrepreneur
- Video—5 ways to achieve sustained growth
- How to create an HR plan to support your company’s growth
- Why every small business needs a growth plan
- 5 top tips for successfully expanding to a new location
- From our blog—Are you investing enough in your business?
- What keeps Canadian tech CEOs up at night?
- How to reduce risk by planning your growth
- Managing your growth when business takes off
- Gearing up for growth: 5 simple steps to set up your business processes
- Child’s play is serious business for this entrepreneur
- From our blog—Demystify your growth: Why increasing revenues does not guarantee success
- From chemicals to nature: These entrepreneurs left everything to get a fresh start
- From our blog—2019 economic outlook: Canada is in a good place
- From our blog—Canada’s manufacturing sector: Trends, challenges and the way forward
- From our blog—The 10 Cs of Global Competitiveness
- You can’t do everything on your own: How this entrepreneur took his business to the next level
- From our blog—Agility will be even more important in the new economic landscape
- How to thrive in tough times
- From our blog—Is diversification the key to recovery for Alberta and Saskatchewan businesses?
- From our blog—2021 economic outlook: Playing catch-up
Choosing the right growth strategy
A successful growth strategy depends on a flexible management structure that allows your business to respond quickly to market demands.
- From our blog—VThis Alberta entrepreneur is building a stronger, faster growing business through diversification
- Turning around a struggling business: Little Rock Printing turns adversity into advantage
- 8 strategies to grow your business
- Video—Investments and determination pay off for this entrepreneur
- Franchising accelerates growth for bike repair firm
- Frogbox springs to franchising success with a green idea
- What to consider before franchising your business
- How to choose the right franchisees
- Secrets for success in your new restaurant
- How to grow your business in a slow economy
- Growing your business: 4 winning strategies
- How to create sustainable growth at your company
- Driving growth through powerful leadership
- 4 proven ways to enhance productivity and grow successfully
- A winning recipe: Specialty cheese maker wins BDC Young Entrepreneur Award
- Know your strategic alliance options
- Growing step by step: A sustainable approach to building a tech company
- Mentoring newcomer entrepreneurs allows Kin’s Farm Market owners to pass on their values
- From our blog—Voices.com: Strategic planning leads to amazing growth journey
- How Vancouver’s Zymeworks became a leading player in the global fight against cancer
- How outside advice helped propel this business to the next level
- Organic growth or mergers and acquisitions: Choosing the right growth strategy
Financing my growth
Financial planning for a growth project may not be quite as exciting as a new computer system or larger office space. But it’s critical to make sure your investment doesn’t stretch your cash flow and sink you.