An Excellent Guide from BDC Canada
Whether it’s small improvements that increase efficiency, an exciting new product or a major overhaul that steps up your productivity, innovation can help you take your company to the next level. Draw on your team’s full potential and find new ways to enhance processes, procedures and product development. Seize the opportunity to be an innovator and drive your company’s growth.
What challenges are you facing?
Explore the headings below and discover how to make your business more innovative.
Why is innovation important?
Innovation is about shaping change—to improve your ability to compete, set your business apart in the marketplace and force competitors to react to you.
- 4 ways innovation can help your business
- How customer-focused innovation led to big sales for one manufacturer
- Business innovation 101: How to innovate step by step
- Infographic—Grow your business with small innovations
- Investing in innovation: The key to 11% annual growth over 25 years
- From our blog—The “I” word
Developing new products
Developing new products has its share of setbacks and failures. However, the payoff can be huge if your new product is a winner.
- Start-up’s scary pivot leads to successful mobile travel app
- An entrepreneur off the beaten track
- Canadian tech star expands worldwide
- LightSpeed rings up global growth with new retail concept
- One company’s successful product development process
- What Canadian manufacturers can learn from Germany’s champions
- This entrepreneur’s innovation formula? Never give up
- Southstar Equipment: Strategies to build an innovation-focused company
- 5 steps to develop a new product your customers will love
- Developing market-driven ideas
- How to generate new ideas: 5 steps that lead to innovation
- How to rev up your company’s innovation engine
- Secrets for developing winning products: A five-step approach
- A laser-like focus on product: Serial tech entrepreneur shares her winning recipe
Making my business more innovative
When you adopt an innovative mindset and put innovation at the heart of your business, productivity, growth and profits will follow.
- How to organize a successful brainstorming session
- 7 tips for adopting an innovation mindset at your business
- Real world innovation for real world companies
- What is innovation? Building a more creative business
- How this entrepreneur built a leader in funeral products in North America
- 5 steps to prepare your business for future disruption
- 5 tips for sparking innovation in your business
- 3 laws to create an innovative culture in your business
- From employee to owner: How this businesswoman turned around her company’s finances
Financing my innovation projects
No matter the needs and the scale of your project, innovation requires financing. Learn more about the different sources of funding available for you to finance your business innovation projects.
- When to seek a loan for your innovation projects
- How to finance innovation in your business
- How to pay for R&D without breaking the bank
Collaborating for innovation
By tapping into a partner’s knowledge and expertise, you can add value and identify opportunities for innovation that you may have missed otherwise.
Protecting my intellectual property
Whether you’re a creative entrepreneur or an inventor, in a knowledge-based economy, your ideas are some of your most precious business assets.
- Patents, trademarks and copyright: How to protect your business ideas
- Intellectual property: How to protect your investments
- Developing and safeguarding your innovative ideas
- How to get a patent: What you need to know to get started
- From our blog—Why your business needs an intellectual property strategy